Exam Board: Cambridge Assessment International Education
Level & Subject: Cambridge International AS & A Level Literature in English
The Student’s Book introduces the key concepts and skills in the Cambridge International syllabus, with a focus on developing effective writing from the start, to give students a toolkit for responding to unseen texts and exploring the set texts in depth.
• Develops effective writing throughout with dedicated activities and exemplar student writing to model different ways of responding to texts.
• Structured to help students make progress: each unit offers a clear, step-by-step learning sequence, moving from exploration to supported analysis to independent writing, and building towards examination-style tasks at the end of each chapter.
• Supports and challenges all learners. The first chapter of the book introduces the fundamental skills and concepts for the course, building learners’ confidence and supporting the transition from upper secondary. The second part of the book shows students how to apply these skills to write about the three major forms (poetry, prose and drama) and to respond to unseen texts. Thinking more deeply sections revisit ideas at a higher level to challenge the most able students.
• Provides an anthology of international texts: fresh texts from a variety of periods and cultures have been chosen to allow students to explore different writers’ choices and their effects.
• Practical for the classroom: the book will be clearly organised into practical sequences of learning that can be used as lessons or series of lessons. The focus on activity and modelling offers an accessible format for classroom teaching.
• Supports teachers’ planning. The free online teacher resource available on Collins.co.uk provides editable medium-term plans summarizing the coverage of each chapter.