Hector the Hippo wants to play the cello more than anything else in the world. But who in the jungle will teach him? Most of the other animals laugh at the idea. Finally Hector meets a musician who can help him, a lyrebird. He practices everyday until he has a chance to play at a grand concert in front of all the other animals.
• Purple/ Band 8 books offer developing readers literary language, with some challenging vocabulary.
• Text type – A story by a significant author.
• A storyboard on pages 22 and 23 summarizes the story in eight illustrations providing an opportunity to recap the key events.
• Curriculum links – Music: Exploring sounds, Classroom instruments, Combining sounds to make music; Science: Animals; ICT: Using text and tables to develop ideas.
• This book has been leveled for Reading Recovery.
• This book has been quizzed for Accelerated Reader.