This coursebook has been revised and updated to ensure that it meets the requirements for the Mechanics 1 (M1) unit of Cambridge AS and A Level Mathematics (9709). This revised edition adds clarifications to sections on forces and equilibrium, kinematics of motion in a straight line and Newton’s laws of motion. All of the review questions have been updated to reflect changes in the style of questions asked in the course.
- Reviewed and revised content to ensure most up-to-date syllabus coverage.
- Full endorsement from Cambridge International Examinations.
- Fully updated review questions to better reflect the type of questioning in the AS and A Level Mathematics qualification.
- Redesigned materials to keep content engaging.
- Learning objectives at the start of each chapter.
- Clear, narrative explanation of mathematical concepts, terminology and notation, with results and procedures appearing in boxes for easy reference.
- Stimulating worked examples that take a step-by-step approach to problem solving.
- Revision exercises and practice exam papers are featured throughout.
1. Velocity and acceleration
2. Force and motion
3. Vertical motion
4. Resolving forces
6. Motion due to gravity
Revision exercise 1
7. Newton’s third law
8. Work, energy and power
9. Potential energy
10. Force as a vector quantity
11. General motion in a straight line
Revision exercise 2