This series brings a fresh approach to ICT for students from 7 to 14 years old, mapped to the Cambridge ICT Starters syllabus for examination from 2019. Initial Steps takes students through working with text, images and graphs while introducing them to email, searching and programming. They’ll use search engines to help them research topics, write a group story using email and begin programming using Scratch. Each activity is clearly introduced, with step-by-step guidance to help learners master new skills. Key words and visual examples support students’ understanding. Download source files for activities from our website.
- Clear learning objectives at the start of every module demonstrate specific syllabus skills and whether they correspond to a Pass or Merit grade.
- A ‘Before you start’ section links back to prerequisite knowledge, ensuring students are prepared and ready to tackle the module.
- A strong emphasis on e-safety throughout the series encourages students to stay safe on the internet.
- Fun activities – including creating images, exploring multimedia and programming – provide a steady step-by-step approach.
- A practical activity at the end of each module provides task-based learning where students can consolidate all of their skills.
- Opportunities for reflection allow students to monitor their learning and consider what and how they have learnt.
1. Programming for a purpose
2. Website design for a purpose
3. Networks for a purpose
4. Video or animation for a purpose.