A lively, colourful Coursebook for Stage 9, which includes activities to develop Reading and Writing skills, with integrated Speaking and Listening tasks. It contains 12 themed units with a full range of stimulus materials, including a balance of fiction and non-fiction from around the world.
- 12 themed units designed to appeal to students (aged 13–14).
- Each unit starts with an introduction to prepare students for what they will learn in the unit, followed by a starter activity.
- Each unit culminates in a piece of extended writing or a presentation.
- Rigorous language practice and teaching of key concepts.
- Coverage of the five framework content areas: Phonics, Spelling and Vocabulary; Grammar and Punctuation; Reading; Writing; Speaking and Listening.
- Engaging activities to develop reading and writing skills.
- Integrated speaking and listening tasks.
- A full range of stimulus materials, including a wide variety of text types, with fiction and non-fiction from around the world.
- Key point boxes to explain and remind students of important learning points relating to curriculum skills.
- Tip boxes to give guidance and support for specific activities or provide useful information.
Unit 1. Art, Design and Fashion: Speech
Unit 2. Modern Living: Magazine articles
Unit 3. Language and Communication: Newspaper articles
Unit 4. Division and Conflict: Anthem
Unit 5. Facing the Future: Film
Short story opening
Unit 6. Making choices: Poem
Reflective prose poem
Unit 7. Education Matters: Magazine articles
Satirical dramatic monologue poem
Unit 8. Caring and Sharing: Fact list
News and magazine articles
Fictional autobiography extract
Unit 9. Crime and Law: Public information brochure
Extract from detective novel
Short story extract
Complete short stories
Unit 10. All in a Day’s Work: Day in life monologues
Week’s diary entries
Unit 11. Wings and Wheels: Biographical article
Unit 12. Seeing Things Differently: Informative article
Day in the life monologue